Breaking News Politics

BREAKING:Federal Government to spend N15bn on Third Mainland Bridge repair

BREAKING:Federal Government to spend N15bn on Third Mainland Bridge repair……CONTINUE READING>>>>>>

As contained in the N2.18tn supplementary budget sent by the Federal Government and passed by the National Assembly on Thursday, the Federal Government owed contractors who worked on the Eko/Marine Bridges the sum of N11,400,024, 608.

The Federal Government also allocated the sum of N15bn for the repairs of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos.

The amount was tied to Urgent comprehensive repairs/rehabilitation of the Third Mainland Bridge.

The Federal Government, through the Federal Ministry of Works, on Thursday said it had perfected plans to carry out comprehensive repairs of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos.

In a statement by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Olukorede Kesha, said, “In view of the above, the motoring public is, hereby, notified that the repair works will begin with the ramps connecting Oworoshoki to Adekunle and Lagos- Island (Adeniji Adele) to Adekunle simultaneously.

“Consequently, the two ramps mentioned above will be closed to traffic by 7 am on Monday, November 6, 2023, for five weeks. Motorists are, therefore, advised to cooperate with the traffic management officials by obeying and observing all diversions as directed and are encouraged to use the alternative routes as provided.”

Meanwhile, during the supplementary budget defence of the Ministry of Works, the Minister, Senator Dave Umahi, decried the mode of payment to contractors.

Umahi said the mode of payment was one of the reasons most road projects were abandoned across the country.

He further lamented the incessant collapse of bridges in the country.

“Our story on road infrastructure is a very pathetic one. When I came on board, we inherited 18,897 kilometres of road totalling N14tn, within the time I came on board, about N3.1tn had been paid, leaving a total certificate of N1.6tn.

“When you see ongoing roads, but no one is there, it’s because contractors are being owed. If you see any ongoing road project, it’s because of an arrangement made by the previous administration through tax credit and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation; it’s the same thing with cement manufacturers as well NNPC and the rest only funds road 50% and was signed for 20years.”……CONTINUE READING>>>>>>

About the author

Postreporters

Leave a Comment